Thursday, July 12, 2012

Juice Fast Day 13

So day 13 and I'm back on track. Had a few minor setbacks but overall it was relatively good.

I started off by making a juice with Choggia beets (the whole bunch with leaves), 2 mini bunches of bok choy, and ginger. I thought the beets would be sweet. It tasted like dirt. So I added a kiwi. It did not help. So I added a pear. It tasted very sweet...with a hint of dirt and a little spicy. I managed to drink it down (thank goodness it was only one glass!) but boy did it have nasty side effects! If my colon wasn't 't already cleaned out by the juice fast so far it has to be after today! I wonder if that means I'm sugar sensitive...

I started listening to the juice cleanse program that I have joined. While I can't share all of the info since it's proprietary, I can share a few little hints here and there! The first one is to wash your produce in water with some lemon juice and salt (1/2 a lemon and a tsp of sea salt from http://drbenkim.com/articles-pesticides.html). It forms a mildly acidic solution that removes pesticides, residues, grime, etc. Just soak for 5 minutes, rinse, and dry thoroughly before storing. I'm going to have to try that!

I also learned that by going on a juice fast too long you can deplete yourself of essential fatty acids, so you either have to supplement or break the fast. Even though I originally wanted to do 30 days, I'm not sure if I should as I have been seeing some unwanted effects like dry eyes, burning of throat when drinking the greens, crankiness, not wanting to drink at all despite hunger, etc. I'm hoping to consult with the doctor running the program and then decide what's best for me. I've been averaging a pound a day weight loss but my measurements are still the same - so hopefully it's real fat loss and not something else entirely.
 
This weekend will be a real test. I'm working a booth at a festival for my nonprofit all weekend: two 14+ hour days and one 11+ hour day - in the high heat (upper 80s) and humidity. I don't do well with either in general. I'm incredibly light sensitive and in heat and humidity my joints tend to swell and so does my entire chest wall causing costochondritis. I hope this juicing helps! I was setting up this evening and was sweating bullets and had a hard time finding the energy to work. I'll be taking my juice (which I'll make in advance of course) and lots of coconut water to make it through the day. Here's hoping it goes well!

This evening I made my juice with cucumbers, celery, and spinach - I made enough to get me through tomorrow as well. It's weird because I had actually been wanting to taste the refreshing cucumber juice but when I drank it, it just wasn't appealing. Can't win em all!

Thinking juicy thoughts,

VeggiePatti

No comments:

Post a Comment