Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Juice Fast Day 25

Today is the last day of my juice fast! I could probably keep going, but I really feel it's time to stop. My total weight loss has been 20 pounds - let's hope it doesn't come right back on! I have a few red spots popping out on me - on my thumb, my toe, my chest - so I'm not sure if the autoimmune issues have completely gone away like I was hoping. And after the water fast I did break out all over my back. So I think it is time to stop and see how I react to regular food again! Also, my throat is starting to react funny again to the green juice, so I definitely think my body is a little in overload. Plus I'm starting to get some sinus issues as well. 

One note: I have had horrible reactions to mosquito bites since I came back from the rainforest in 1996 - so bad that once half of my back swelled up from one bite and the bites usually stay on me for months (still itching!). Over time the allergy has died down. Last night I was bit by a mosquito and I had no reaction (except for the initial biting sensation and a slight itch). No bump, no prolonged itching - nada! I've never been so excited to have been bitten by a mosquito! LOL I just had to share...

Although my mood has been like a roller coaster on this juice fast, today I was in a good mood and felt like I could take on the world! If I would have had this feeling the whole time I probably wouldn't have stopped! But maybe it's also the transition from the horrible effects of the water fast to finally having sustenance and energy. Speaking of the water fast, it really messed up my bowels, so I'm thinking I'll need to stay close to a toilet when that first green smoothie goes in!

So here's my transition plan. Tomorrow morning I'm going in to get some bloodwork to see if the juicing has had any effect on me internally, particularly on my immune function. I have to fast for the bloodwork so I won't be drinking green smoothies before. Since I want to be at home to drink my first green smoothie, I've decided to take my remaining juice and some coconut water to have after the blood draw. Then, when I get home, I will make the smoothie.

The first green smoothie will be super basic - just spinach, water, and blueberries. I want to see the reaction I have to the fiber first. Then I'll slowly add in herbs, a banana (like normal), and protein powder. I will make the smoothies in smaller batches (which I normally don't do) so I can add things one at a time and see if I have any effect.

I will probably be on smoothies 1 or 2 days. If I'm feeling OK on the second day, I might try to eat a salad. I'll just have to see how it goes. I'm also planning on eventually adding back in legumes and soy to see if I have a reaction to those items, but I will do it one at a time. I will then go back to a raw foods and green smoothie diet with a green juice thrown in a few days a week. Eventually I might try adding grains back in, but not for a while.

So that's the plan. I will keep updating the blog throughout the transition period.

Thinking juicy thoughts (for the last time),

VeggiePatti

No comments:

Post a Comment