Saturday, July 28, 2012

Transition Day 3

My day was so busy yesterday I didn't have time to blog - but here's the recap from yesterday.

I woke up so dehydrated my throat was completely parched, my eyes were dry and it hurt when I blinked, and I had cramps in both legs - classic signs of dehydration. I forced myself to try to drink water, which was difficult and not helping, so I grabbed a coconut water and downed that - it helped a little. I slowly kept drinking more water until the symptoms went away.

I had a busy day planned so I had gotten everything ready to make a smoothie the night before - the lettuce was washed, the chia was soaked, etc. I did everything except forgot to wash the blender! The blender was caked in lovely chlorella so it wasn't a simple wash, and since I was running late I just had to run out of the house without eating. (See - this is why you always need to be prepared!)

I had an early wedding to go to so my first stop was the hairdresser. I had planned to go to pick up a raw cake for my belated b-day celebration after getting my hair done. I figured I could get a green smoothie there. However, when I called the place, they forgot to make my cake! So instead I stopped by my local health store on the way home that stocks items from Cacao Tree Cafe and I ended up getting a slice of raw pizza. Because I was running around so much, it took me about 2 hours to finish the one piece of pizza. (Lesson: I really need to have healthy convenience foods to take with me AND I need to learn to stop and enjoy a meal every once in a while!)

Since I wasn't allowed to eat at the reception due to my food allergies, I just went to Whole Foods Market for dinner. I decided to test cooked foods. I wasn't going to test soy yet, but I wasn't thrilled with the choices so that's what I ended up doing. I got some raw kale salad (kale, tomatoes, dried cranberries, pinenuts, lemon, oil, salt), Brussels sprouts (made with olive oil and garlic), mashed potatoes and cauliflower with herbs, and mango curry tofu with cashews - all in small portions. The kale salad and the Brussels sprouts were the most appealing to me - actually I could have just eaten the Brussels sprouts and been fine! The kale salad tasted very vinegary/acidic to me. The mashed potatoes and cauliflower were very dry - I did not finish them all. The tofu is something I had gotten before - previously I could taste the sweet of the mango. Now I could just taste the earthiness of the curry powder. It could have been made differently, but it wasn't great - I did not finish that either. The only thing I even really liked were the Brussels sprouts.

When I was eating the food I didn't have any ill effects - just the usual slight runny nose. Soy used to make my knuckles swell - luckily that did not happen! And no pain in my stomach (even though I forgot my enzymes). But no sooner did I finish eating I got this horrible pain in my ears and my throat! Normally I have been getting this mucus bubble in the back of my throat. This time I realized my Eustachian tubes had both filled with fluid and the middle of my throat was slightly swelling. It did pass after a little while, but I don't know if that means I'm allergic to soy, the canola oil, or something else.

Back at the reception I danced for quite a long time. I haven't had that much high-energy physical activity in a while, but I was fine! It felt good to get out and move.

When I got home, which was around 11:30 pm I fed all of the animals and then did something really stupid - I ate again! I don't know why - I wasn't hungry, I wasn't emotional, I just felt like I really hadn't eaten that much during the day and I should eat something. I see that this habit must be stopped. I finished the raw kale chips and the chicken-less salad. Honestly, I didn't even enjoy them, I was eating to get sustenance that for some reason I thought I needed. (But in all fairness, I did not enjoy the juices either - I was drinking them to get sustenance, too.)

I didn't have any issues until I woke up the next morning. I stepped on the scale and it was 5 pounds heavier! I did NOT eat 5 pounds of food yesterday! And even though I confirmed my bowels were working again (I had to go 3 times in the morning), the scale still did not move. The moral of the story is: I have to watch what I eat, how much I eat, and when I eat, and I still have a long ways to go.

Thinking solid thoughts,

VeggiePatti

No comments:

Post a Comment